Increase Your On-Ice Explosiveness with This Easy-To-Do Hockey Workout at Home
A lot of hockey is about reading plays and taking advantage of sudden opportunities. A skill that can be a real game-changer is a player’s “explosiveness”. This refers to how quickly the player can recognize an opportunity and accelerate a quick 4-5 strides to take advantage of the chance.
It could be a breakaway. Or an odd-man rush. It could be back-checking and breaking up a play.
What makes the impact of the player’s explosiveness that much more effective depends upon the amount of power behind the initial strides they take and how effective they are at initially reacting to the play, whether it be stopping on a dime or turning around and changing direction.
A player’s explosiveness is not something that just some people have and others don’t. Rather, it’s something players train for.
Commit to doing the following hockey workout 3-4 times per week and you will see results in both your explosiveness and your overall skating power.
1. Start with 12 Standard Push-Ups, feet together, hands shoulder-width apart. Emphasize quality rather than speed. After that you then . . .
2. Sprint 25 Meters, as fast as you can, exploding from your feet after the 12th push-up. When you’re done sprinting . . .
3. Do 12 Squat Jumps, keep your back straight, chest up, squat down, and jump on your way up while raising both arms over your head. After you’ve completed your 12th squat jump, you then . . .
4. Sprint 25 Meters, right back to where you started. As long as you’re here, you might as well do . . .
5. 12 More Standard Push-Ups, identical to step one. Finish your 12th push-up and then . . .
6. Sprint 25 Meters, back to where you came from.
7. Perform 25 Meters of Walking-Lunges Back to the Start, quality again emphasized over speed (this will give you the chance to catch your breath like an icing or other sort of play stoppage). After that, you’re going to do one more . . .
8. Sprint 25 Meters, to the virtual finish line.
Repeat this circuit three times each workout and you will almost immediately increase your explosiveness and power. The best part? It's very practical; no equipment is needed, you don't need a trainer, gym, or anything of that sort.
Stick tap to www.hockeyworkouts.net for posting this workout!
Check Out Other Popular Posts
Funny hockey photo from FailLOL.com Anyone that knows anything about hockey, it’s that the sport itself is probably the least political am...
Fun Fact About the Stanley Cup I think the NHL might need to hire a new proofreader. Follow the Hockey Chump on Facebook with just Two C...
Hockey Music: Carey Price “Tik Tok” Here’s a pretty funny video from Hockeygods.com – it’s “Carey Price Tik Tok” done to the tune of Kesh...
Hockey Quote: Patrick Kane on Mullet I wish the NHL would give Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane more coverage than they do some ...